Based very loosely on a recipe I found at allrecipes.com called Beef Stroganoff III, I made some beef stroganoff tonight, that was very tasty.
I usually prepare green beans with almonds to go with my beef stroganoff.
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Â½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Â½ cup all-purpose flour
- Â½ cup olive oil
or Â½ cup (1 stick) butter
- One small- to medium-sized onion, diced
or 4 green onions (white parts only), diced
- Â¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Â½ cups beef broth (or one 10.5 to 14 oz can)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- â…“ cup sour cream
- â…“ cup white wine
- Cut the beef into pieces roughly Â½ inch by Â½ inch by 2 inches (1cm x 1cm x 4cm) and place in mixing bowl.
- Add Â½ teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mix until evenly seasoned.
- Add Â½ cup all-purpose flour, and mix until meat is evenly coated with flour.
- Put olive oil or butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add meat and brown quickly. Note: Do not overcook the meat in this step! Only slightly brown it. It should still be a bit red when you finish this step. The meat will be cooked more later!
- Push the beef strips to one side (or transfer to another pan temporarily if your skillet is not large enough). Leave as much juice from the meat in the pan as possible, for cooking the onions.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of additional olive oil or butter if the skillet is dry, then add the diced onions or green onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook these, either!
- Put the onions with the meat (either to the side in your skillet, or in another pan for temporary holding), again leaving as much juice as possible in the large skillet.
- Put Â¼ cup all-purpose flour and beef broth into the pan, add mustard, mix thoroughly 3-5 minutes.
- Mix the meat and onions back in and lower heat to simmer, cover, and let sit for an hour or until meat is tender.
- 10 minutes before serving, saute sliced mushrooms in butter until lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms, â…“ cup sour cream, and â…“ cup white wine to skillet, and mix thoroughly.
- Serve over pasta or rice.