For our Christmas celebration in Guadalajara I made some Egg nog, which was a nice taste of home for me, and a nice new treat for most everyone else. I found a good recipe here, and made a few modifications.
- 4 fresh eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white rum
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Ground nutmeg
- Separate egg yolks and whites into two bowls.
- Mix yolks and half of sugar (1/4 cup) and set aside
- Beat egg whites until stiff, then add other half of sugar
- Mix egg whites and yolks slowly
- Slowly stir in rum, milk, bourbon, and half of the whipping cream (1/2 cup)
- Whip the other half of the cream, then fold into the mixture
- Serve at room temperature with a ladle, careful to get even amounts of liquid and foam in each cup. Sprinkle ground nutmeg on top.
My version of this recipe cuts down the alcohol content by half of the original recipe. I made the original recipe once, and found it was far too strong. You can also make a non-alcoholic version of this beverage by substituting additional milk for the alcohol.